Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Commuting Gear

  Commuting and the gear you choose to use can be as easy or as difficult as you want to make it.
  You could put all of you crap in a backpack and bundle up in your snow jacket and pants,tie up your boots and head off on your $100 dollar mountain bike.
  Saddle up onto your Milwaukee Bruiser or Bianchi Pista with 16 inches of drop. Have your friends help you into your skinny jeans.Stick your gigantic U-Lock in your belt.Make sure your keys are fastened to your belt loop and have the proper jingle factor - something like Santa's Sleigh Bells- is acceptable. Now all you need to do is get your empty gigantic messenger bag and skid your way to class, blowing stop signs and red lights the whole way...Shakkah Bro.

 I could go on and on and on about all the different set ups I have seen or used for commuting. The possiblities are endless, and I'm not knocking any of them, well...maybe I am, the ones where you carry all of your shit on your back. Not good, not fun to ride with and not good for your back.
  I personally have been researching what gear I will use for commuting for about 3 months now. I know I am a peculiar type of cyclist, in the parlance of THE SNOB, I am something of a Retro Grouch,but I also believe in some new fangled idears like clipless shoes and pedals,rechargeable light systems, and SOME synthetic fibers.

  For commuting in early spring, my clothing will consist of a mix and match of what I feel keeps me warm and comfortable, without sweating to death. We will start from the feet up.
- Specialized Tahoe Shoes, comfortable, spd compatible, multi function shoes. If I forget regular shoes, I could wear them at work. (Anyone who knows me knows that I like utility, meaning I want items to be useful for more than one thing).
- Depending on the temperature, Pearl Izumi Barrier Mtb Shoe Covers. The best, they go on easy and keep my feet warm.
- WOOL is real. Wool socks, usually KEEN, or Adidas.
- Padded Cycling Short, Pearl Izumi, Bontrager or Castelli. To keep me comfortable on my 50 mile round trip trek.
- Some sort of thermal tight or weather proof pant. Usually Bontrager. Again, weather dependant.
- Long sleeve base layer, for moisture wicking.
- Short or long sleeve jersey, temperature dependant
- Wind Barrier Vest, Wind Barrier Jacket, or Mega Warm Jacket. Temperature Dependant.HI VIS ALWAYS. Arcteryx, Bontrager,or LL Bean.
-Wool Hat.
- Helmet. Always. NO Exceptions, especially when Randall is speeding next to you in his F350.Rudy Project.

Bike that I will most likely use.

-Specialized Globe Haul, Size Large. Awesome Touring,Commuter,Country Bike.Has a rack built into the frame. Light built into the rack.Full aluminum fenders.
-WTB All Terrainasaurus 700x40 Tires. Awesome. I'm all about big tires.
-Shimano SPD Campus Pedals
-Bontrager Aluminum Bottle Cages,they hold water bottles. I dont care who makes them or what they are made of as long as they can do that.
-Bontrager Air Support Mini Pump.Emergency use only
-Nite Rider Mi-Newt Mini USB Headlight. Light, Simple,bright enough.
-Nite Rider Cherry Bomb Taillight, Two Taillights, just in case.
-Bontrager Handlebar Bag- Reflective, contains my cell phone,wallet,rain poncho,clif bar or fig newtons, map,led flashlight, pocket knife,and sunglasses.
-Bontrager Deluxe Trunk Bag.Reflective Taping. Holds my spare tubes, patch kit,tire levers,multi tool,any extra clothing I may need, my lunch, and a lock.



1 comment: